Sunday, January 08, 2006

Frogging, Teaching, Cooking

To frog or not to frog, that is the questions. One of my many WIP (works in process for you nonknitters) has been the Clapotis shawl/scarf. I started knitting it in October using this beautiful purpley/black hand dyed silk/wool boucle from Tess' Designers Yarns. I had bought the yarn several years ago at Stitches, I had never felt a boucle so soft, the silk you know. Now boucle is tough to knit with, not technically but designwise, it visually had bulk to your shape, and some of us don't exactly want that, so I thought the Clapotis was perfect, well almost. Recently I was discussing with some fellow knitters the look of the piece, and the boucle is not making the grade, yes its' beautiful yarn, but the stitch definition is vague, it doesn't have the drape I want, and half done, I think it should be frogged. While it kills me to do it, I know it must be done. I will only frog the Clapotis when I have bought the perfect substitute yarn, so off to Knitpicks I go, a friend of mine made her in a silk/alpaca blend and it drapes beutifully, I'm jealous.
Today I had my first faculty meeting for Lill Street, big step for me. It was more fun than I expected, I'm looking forward to teaching, and I found out I can take any class for a severly reduced price. I talked to the dye teacher and I think it might be fun to do a one day workshop of natural dying yarn. It's a small world ya know. The dye teacher used to work for the same Saudi ethnographic museum place I did, but before I was there weird huh? Later on I went to Whole foods to pick up some hair conditioner and hummus fixings and while checking out the clerk asked me what the jar of tahini was used for, I said to make hummus, she said she never heard of anyone making homemade hummus. I would expect that from a clerk at Jewel or Dominicks, but Whole Fooods, come on, it's the Mecca for strange people cooking strange things. I feel good right now, even though I balled up while looking at Italian Greyhounds available for adoption, my high might even get me through a crappy day at work tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home